- This event has passed.
Give Better Presentations: How Storytelling Helps People Listen to What You Say and Do What You Ask
April 30, 2013 @ 11:15 am - 12:30 pm
Workshop for the SOCAP International 2013 Symposium
Whether you are making a presentation to your boss, your staff, or your community, you need to connect with your listeners. Maybe you’re requesting a larger budget, justifying a proposal, or summarizing a metrics report. You want people to care about and remember what you’re saying. So how do you keep people from experiencing “death by PowerPoint”? By incorporating storytelling. This workshop will help you learn to tell a compelling, genuine story in your presentations. You’ll learn why storytelling works and how to use a brief personal story, business story, or case study to illustrate even the driest topic.
You will learn how storytelling can help you:
- Bring data to life
- Calm your nerves so you can deliver a great presentation
- Explain technical topics to non-technical people. (Storytelling makes it easier, for example, to explain to a Director of Marketing how contact center technology works.)
- Ensure that people will remember what you said
- Provide structure for your presentation
- Give you a business-appropriate way to engage your listeners’ emotions
During this session, you will
- Receive storytelling guidance
- Watch videos of excellent storytellers
- Develop and practice telling a story you can use in your next presentation
This workshop isn’t about using PowerPoint. It’s a hands-on, practical session about how telling a great story is more important than your slides.