Hi! I’m Leslie O’Flahavan, owner of E-WRITE, a writing training consultancy. I can help the most stubborn, inexperienced, or word-phobic employees at your organization improve their writing skills, so they can do their jobs better.
I’ve led E-WRITE since 1996, so I’ve got tons of hands-on experience teaching customized writing courses for Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and non-profit organizations in the U.S. and abroad.
- I help customer care professionals write better email, chat, social media, and text. Better communication with customers means a better customer experience. As a result of my work, my clients improve their customer satisfaction ratings, reduce training cycles, improve productivity, and limit legal risk.
- I’m a LinkedIn Learning instructor of six writing courses. One of my courses, Writing Customer Service Emails, has had 199,642 learners to date!
- I’m a plain language advocate. I teach and write frequently on the topic of plain language, lead Plain Language Weekly on Clubhouse, and am a member of the Center for Plain Language.
- I’m a frequent conference presenter, but not the sage-on-the-stage type. Whether I’m speaking to a group of 50 or 500, my virtual or onsite conference sessions are hands-on and practical. I always illustrate my advice with real-world examples. Oh, and I’m not boring!
- I invented the “Bite, Snack, and Meal” approach to writing web content. Really, I did! And there’s a Wikipedia page to prove it.
- USA Today featured my work helping airline customer care organizations communicate with passengers in a modern, candid style. I’ve worked with domestic and international airlines, here in the U.S. and around the world: Abu Dhabi, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Canada, France, and the Netherlands.
- I developed the eight-course “Write Right” curriculum for the U.S. Energy Information Administration and taught these courses, on rotation, over a two-year period. Learn more about this curriculum from EIA Assistant Administrator for Communications.
- I write style guides that help organizations ensure everyone is writing correct, readable content in their brand voice. I’ve written style guides for Caterpillar, Air Canada, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and many more.
- I’m a customer service thought leader. For several years running, my work’s been recognized by ICMI, HDI, and other companies I deeply respect.
- I sincerely believe people can improve their writing skills. I don’t write anyone off, no matter their experience, education, or challenges.