Plain Language In Action: Strategies for Cleaning Clutter from Your Writing« Events Calendar
Download the presentation for this workshop: E-WRITE STCWDC Plain Language Workshop 30Nov12
In this hands-on, half-day workshop, you’ll get up to speed on the federal plain language legislation, and you’ll learn strategies for streamlining your own writing.
About the Plain Writing Act of 2010, you will learn:
- Which types of federal writing the Act covers
- What federal agencies must do to comply with the law
- Which agencies are in the plain writing vanguard
- Where to find government plain language resources and models
About plain language strategies to improve your own writing, you will learn:
- A two-tier process for editing for conciseness
- How to make your writing scannable
- How, and when, to display information in vertical lists or tables
- How to cut word count by 10 percent, 25 percent, or even 50 percent
- How, and why, to write in active voice
Note: We will do some writing exercises during class. Paper will be provided for these exercises. If you prefer to type, you may bring your laptop.
Many thanks to the Society for Technical Communication’s Washington, DC and Metro Baltimore Chapter for sponsoring this event.
The Society for Technical Communication (STC) advances the theory and practice of technical communication across all user abilities and media so that both businesses and customers benefit from safe, appropriate, and effective use of products, information, and services. The Washington, DC and Metro Baltimore (WDC MB) Chapter offers opportunities to network with others in your field, explore your interests, and expand your education and skills.
- View other STC Washington, DC and Metro Baltimore Chapter events
- Connect with STC Washington, DC and Metro Baltimore Chapter on Facebook or Twitter