This course will provide you with what you’ve often said you need: practical guidance on writing web content, examples of effective content, and the opportunity to practice your writing skills. This hands-on workshop introduces you to the principles of web writing and gives you concrete strategies for writing to online readers. You’ll learn how to write content that search engines can find and people can use. You’ll practice writing concisely, repurposing print for the web, and revising your own web content. You’ll have the chance to share your work with the instructor and other course participants. You’ll receive useful, focused feedback.
Who should attend
- Anyone who is planning, writing, maintaining, or editing web content for a personal site, a company site, or a community organization site
What you’ll learn
- How to write task-oriented web content
- How to write content that is appropriate for its intended users by using the bite, snack, and meal approach
- How to repurpose print content for the web
- How to write concisely
- How to write web content search engines can find and rank highly
- How to write scannable web content
- How to write meaningful hypertext links
- How to write plain language web content
Why you should attend
- You’ll receive expert instruction in writing for the web
- You’ll have hands-on practice in web writing and editing
- You’ll be able to write web content that meets your readers’ needs
- Your new web writing skills will enable you to speed up the editorial cycle
- You’ll get feeback on your own web content or help planning new content for your site
What you will receive
- A course manual containing guidance and examples
- A link to a private web writing resources page
- A 30-minute follow-up phone call, so you can discuss your own content with the course instructor
- Coffee, water, and snacks. (Lunch is on your own.)
What you should bring
- Lots of questions about writing web content
- A laptop or tablet (optional, not required). The meeting room has wi-fi.
- Hard copy of your own content, if you want to take notes while receiving feedback on it
Course fee and discount codes
- Register by February 18 and get two-for-one tuition. Bring a friend for free! Pay $295 to enroll two people. Use discount code TWO-FOR-ONE. If you register yourself using this code, I will contact you to get the name of the person who’s attending for free.
- Register by February 25 and get a 10% early bird discount. Pay $265 per person. Use discount code EARLYBIRD-10PERCENT
- Register after February 25 and pay full tuition of $295.
- DC Web Women use discount code DCWW-DISCOUNT and get a 15% discount. Pay $251 per person.
Questions? Contact Leslie O’Flahavan at 301-989-9583 or Leslie@ewriteonline.com. Hope to see you at the web writing course on March 15!
Tuition refund policy: You will receive a full refund if you cancel before March 11, 2013. If you cancel between March 11, 2013 and March 15, 2013, you will receive a 50% refund. If you cannot attend, you may send a substitute.